Sunday, March 20, 2011

Every Day Activities:

Finding activities that work well for children around 15 months can be a challenge. Nathaniel and I tried sponge painting the other day and it worked really well. I first taped a large paper that I pulled from our Art Easel. I then poured yellow, blue, and red paint on it. I cut the sponges into square shapes and had Nathaniel sit in his booster seat. I showed him how to dip the sponges into the paint and then move them around the paper. He had a great time. Other quick activities we did that day… we read Mother Goose Rhymes, this is great for gaining phonemic awareness and a wonderful activity to promote early reading.
I also found an old box and three golf tee’s. I taped the old box together and showed Nathaniel how to hammer the golf tee’s into the box. At this age he was more interested in just hammering onto the box, however with my help he did hit a few tee’s. I was very careful to put the golf tee’s away at this age they should not do this type of activity unsupervised unless it is just the box with a plastic hammer. Oh, by the way we used a plastic hammer.
The last activity we did that day was collecting about nine balls that go to various toys and we bounced them into my cupcake pan. I also set out a paper bag and when we were done bouncing and rolling the balls we put them into the paper bag and pulled them out. 
By: Angela Albertson  

2 comments:

  1. Great idea with the finger paints. I have 13-month old twin boys that I may try this with.
    ~Susie C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Susie. You will have to let me know how this goes with your twins. I have my hands full with just one, I don't know how you do it with two!

    ReplyDelete